Monday, November 26, 2007

For the Record Lovers



Setting and breaking records is a part of every professional sport. They give information-hungry fans and commentators something exciting to talk about, and they even provide marketers and PR people with new angles and that "wow factor" to attract attention to their team if used wisely.

As of last night, Patriots fans, watchers of football in general, and commentators can continue the discussion of the Pats’ journey towards that shining “perfect season,” a feat that has yet to be replicated since the Miami Dolphins finished 17-0 in 1972. The question is, after their close call last night at home in Foxborough against what some would consider a lackluster Philadelphia team, is the discussion and hype premature? Have the Patriots fully displayed their dominance throughout the season and are on their way to obtaining a record that should be rightfully theirs? After being in Boston this weekend, I noticed a good number of New Englanders that would openly and loudly agree with my second question. I, for one, believe in the ability to jinx a good thing and feel compelled to keep my thoughts to myself while letting the action speak for itself on the field. Can I deny that it would be exciting to watch a “perfect season” unfold before my eyes? Definitely not. Would I already proclaim that a “perfect season” is on its way? Not necessarily.

Let’s not forget where our once-“perfect season” Miami Dolphins find themselves currently. After tonight, the Patriots may not be the only ones continuing their quest for an NFL record. Will they make it to 0-11 or even 0-16? On this subject, I am simply keeping my mouth shut.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

As much as I hate every sports team that comes from Boston, I'm going to have to agree that the Patriots might be able to pull it off this year with a perfect season. (as much as i hate to admit it)