Monday, September 3, 2007

The Move to Dolphin Stadium: RIP OB

As everyone in the Miami area and many sport fans around the world know, the Orange Bowl is one of the most historical stadiums in the country. It was built in 1935, and when you walk into the stadium for Hurricane game days you might think there have not been many improvements since then. It has survived countless hurricanes and there is a special place the Orange Bowl has in every University of Miami fans’ heart. The Hurricanes won 58 straight home games. “The U” has won three of their five national championships there. Is the move to Dolphin Stadium as big of a deal as we are making it out to be? Aren’t we as spectators of a top Division I program better off being able to watch a game in a stadium suited for today and not thirty years ago? A lot of people say yes, but some of those people and others are sad to say goodbye to the Orange Bowl on November 10, 2007.

I have gone through a similar experience during my childhood. I am from Philadelphia, and when I was growing up Veterans Stadium was the stadium the Philadelphia Phillies and Philadelphia Eagles played in. This was the only stadium these teams had played in during my lifetime. There was a ton of history behind this stadium as well. It was one of the most feared houses in all of professional because the fans were so brutal. It was also well known for the horrific playing surface. Teams would fear playing on the turf because there were patches that assisted in plenty of broken ankles and knees. “The Vet” was a piece of crap, but it was ours. The Philadelphia fans were proud of Veterans Stadium. We were excited to get two new stadiums, one for football and one for baseball, but a little piece inside every Philadelphia sports fan hurt a little. This is similar to how I feel saying goodbye to the Orange Bowl.

I, for one thing, am a little upset to say goodbye. I have said since my freshman year how big of a dump the Orange Bowl is. It sucks to stand on these uncomfortable bleachers for three hours. It sucks having no room to walk and to not have a state-of-the-art scoreboard. I also can not imagine being handicapped and having to navigate around the Orange Bowl. It says it has handicapped seating for 282 people, but anyone who has been to the Orange Bowl will find that hard to believe. It also sucks that there is no parking there, and the process to get to the Orange Bowl is that: a process. You have to take the metrorail to Culmer Station, and then pick up a bus from there. It would take 20 minutes to drive to the Orange Bowl, but it takes about 45 minutes to an hour to get there by public transportation. There is absolutely no parking unless you want to pull into someone’s driveway for $50. Dolphin Stadium, on the other hand, is one of the newer stadiums in the country, and is making a ton of renovations. These renovations are expected to be done in 2009 and will make Dolphin Stadium one of the premier stadiums in the country. Currently, Dolphin Stadium has one of the largest areas for parking in the country. This would make tailgating and parking much more convenient than the Orange Bowl. It also had a huge plasma high-def scoreboard. With the renovations coming in 2009 this will be THE PLACE to watch games.

So you are probably wondering: why are you upset to say goodbye? A question I have is: what is Miami football known for? One might say running out on to the Orange Bowl Field with the smoke from the helmet. Another might say a tradition of excellence for over 25 years. The Orange Bowl is where the history of Miami football lives. All memories we have has been at the O-Bowl. Besides the campus in Coral Gables, I would consider the Orange Bowl our second home. Our players and recruits live to run out of the helmet tunnel. The students and spectators live to see the players run out of the helmet tunnel. This is where the bad boys of Jimmy Johnson’s era pummeled every opponent. The orange seats, the “U” at midfield, and the sign that reads “the City of Miami Welcomes You to the Orange Bowl” all bring a smile to your face. It feels like we are leaving the house we grew up, and have our childhood memories in, for one that is bigger and better. It might be an upgrade, but it is still not that house that made us who we are today.

November 10, 2007 will be a mixed emotion event for all University of Miami fans and players. We are saying goodbye to our home for the last 72 years, and moving to a bigger more beautiful home. I am glad to say I had the opportunity to spend three seasons in the Orange Bowl, and will be the first graduating class in Dolphin Stadium. Orange Bowl- you have given us millions of memories. We will miss you. Rest in Peace.

3 comments:

Jacqueline Coleman said...

I am very sad to say goodbye to the Orange Bowl. As a native of Miami, I have spent my entire life-from diapers to my Senior year in college-going to Canes games in that stadium. I understand the technology, parking, structure, and safety of Dolphin Stadium may be better than the OB, but the OB is tradition and history. I guess plasma TVs are more important than history these days, which is fine, if you care about that kind of stuff. Personally, I love sitting in the 50-yard line seats every game that my great-grandparents bought when the OB was a budding new stadium. The OB is not only school history and tradition, but for me, it is also family tradition. Four generations of my family have sat in the same seats on the 50 yard line-considered the best seats in the house. My grandfather, (who was also the first mascot for the football team as a 5 year old boy who ran onto the field before the team wearing a 00 jersey) as the President of the OB Committee, stood in the middle of the field with the President of the United States, John F. Kennedy to toss the coin before the Orange Bowl Game. When I was just 10 years old, I got to stand on the sidelines and watch my grandfather honored as the first "mascot", along with members of the first team for the 70th anniversary of the football program. I have attended games at Dolphin Stadium (also known as Joe Robbie Stadium by us natives) my entire life as well, but the personal connection is not as strong. The reasons for the move are logical and reasonable (I guess), but the pain of relocating a program so rich as the University of Miami Hurricanes, is deep. I hope that the success that the OB has seen can be relocated as well...and even to a greater extent.

Thermocaster said...

As a first-time attendee to an event at the Orange Bowl this past weekend, I'm still asking myself "What's the big problem?"

I was expecting a run-down, decrepit shell of a sports facility, with rusting concourses and rats everywhere. What I saw, however, was remarkably similar to most of the stadiums I've gone to in recent years in the midwest and south. Granted, the stadium wasn't in the greatest part of town, but I can name a dozen other stadiums with the same issue.

Sarah L said...

Something that might be even more heartrending is the fact that THE LAST GAME AT THE OB WAS NOT SOLD OUT! After all of the concerns and anger about the fact that we were going to be leaving a place of such great and honorable tradition, we could not manage to fill the stadium seats for the last time we would EVER be playing in The Orange Bowl. To me, this again just proves that fans in Miami are only fans in Miami when Miami has a wining team, bottom line.