Thursday, September 27, 2007

America Has Spoken, and the Votes are In!!


Finally, I can let go of this breath I have been holding. The fate of Barry Bonds' record breaking ball has been decided. Not only did the proud owner of the ball, fashion designer, Marc Ecko, let us all know what he was going to do with the ball, he actually let US, "the fans" decide. Sweet! Now that's what I call interactive sports.

What exactly did we, "the fans," decide? Well, it looks like the famous ball is headed to the Hall of Fame with a cute little star on it. That sounds reasonable, considering the other options were to send it off into space as "space garbage" (which we all know is polluting the universe-where were you on this one Al Gore and "An Inconvienient Truth" fans?) Or, we could just have voted to send the ball to the Hall of Fame just as it is. This option would have seemed inappropriate considering the controversy over this whole Bonds situation.

So, after more than 10 million online voters (I am a proud voter myself, just doing my civic duty), 47% of them said to mark it with an asterisk and send it to the Hall.

Now with that said, anyone care to join me on a trip to Cooperstown, NY to see this famous almost space junk ball?? Personally, I think it's great that the museum now has one more whole ball to brag about having. I hear they are just thrilled. I mean, who wouldn't want this ball, besides the millions of people in this country who couldn't afford it or just don't give a crap?
Let's not be hard on Barry Bonds, he did hit a heck of a lot of homeruns. Steroids or not, the man knows how to play some baseball. Whether or not the ball deserves to have the asterisk or not, Cooperstown, NY now has something new to talk about. The ball will now be in its rightful resting place in the Hall. Life is good.

OK, now that we are all done with the question of where in the Milky Way to send the 756th ball, we can move on to actual news. Oh yea, did you hear Bonds won't even play for San Francisco anymore? Um, excuse me, "the fans" didn't get to vote for where Mr. Bonds will go. Obviously Marc Ecko cares more about what the people want. Where can I get some of his stuff?

3 comments:

Brad said...

I think that it is real interesting that Mark Ecko let the fans decide. I was also surprised how to fans voted. I am glad the ball will be sent to Cooperstown. When the smoke clears, Barry Bonds did still break the record. He hit a lot of homeruns. How he did it is still up in the air. I think it is great the ball will have the note on it that this might not be the true representation of the record breaking ball because of law-breaking antics. I personally do not like Bonds, mainly because of his arrogance. If he was a nicer guy, I might have more sympathy for him.

YankeeCane7 said...

I originally thought that the ball should be branded with the asterisk, but the more I think about it, I don't think it should be. I know that all the evidence points to Bonds using steroids, but no one can be 100% sure that this is true. I think maybe that we should just wait and see if anything concrete comes out on this guy in the near future. I found it pretty cool though that Ecko would give the fans an option on what to do with the ball. He really got a lot of publicity for this, which would definitely help his company.

Eric Tolchin said...

I agree in that it was very clever of Ecko to involve the fans in this decision making process. Additionally, I am in favor of having the ball marked with an asterisk as this whole thing is more than likely tainted. However, the final resting place of the ball should be in the Hall of Fame as it is a part of baseball history. It isn't everyday that someone surpasses this milestone, I only wonder who will be next to do so.