Thursday, September 6, 2007

Appalachian State: The New Cool School


(Disclaimer: I am not bashing Appalachian State University.I respect the school and all those who attend.)
Appalachian State has just been handed the best marketing tool the school has had in awhile...well, maybe ever. With their football victory over Michigan last weekend, the school can afford to send its entire marketing department on vacation for awhile. Apparently, the football team decided to take over promotions duty last weekend and put to shame any other efforts the school has made for promoting itself (cheesy Hot, Hot, Hot video makers, I'm talking to you). Now, the only problem the school will have is weeding out genuine applicants from former Ohio State dropouts who are looking for a mountain getaway and a new football program friend to cheer for.

Now, with no disrespect to ASU, I want to propose the question: Why is everyone suddenly a Mountaineer fan? Ok, I understand that tiny little ASU beat big 'ol nasty Michigan, but does everyone who hates Michigan have to go run and buy Appalachian stuff? I find that a little extreme. I really can't stand Florida or Florida State, but everytime they encounter a major upset (which happens more to FSU than UF recently), I don't run out and buy some other random school's gear to wear to our game against them. I mean, did anyone cheer for this team when they weren't beating Michigan? Probably not too many people. Hey, now there's a whole bandwagon-jump on you bandwagoning Buckeyes! Just sounds a little silly.

I guess I love my team too much to wear some other school's colors on my back. I kind of thought Buckeye fans were that way too. Maybe not though, maybe secretly they want to look like the mountain men of Appalachian.I guess it's the new "Hot" look anyway.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's wonderful that Appalachian State is selling so much stuff. I am very happy for them. Really, I am. They are a great little school with lots of big potential. Now with their lucky football break, they are on the minds of underdogs everywhere, and finally on the maps of some ignorant fools who have no idea where the Appalachian Mountains are-Michigan fans.

3 comments:

Brad said...

I was shocked to see the Appalachian State upset over Michigan two weeks ago. I was even more shocked when I saw the "Hot, Hot, Hot" video. It was hard deciding which was more hysterical: the win over Michigan or the lyrics and song played in that God-awful video. It was also very interesting seeing Ohio State fans buying ASU gear. I understand Michigan is their big rival, and this was possibly the biggest upset ever, but it is Appalachian State we are talking about. I do not think they will EVER go to a bowl or compete for national championship.

Also, looking at the scores from yesterday, it seems to me like the ASU phenomenon will die down quick. Michigan was manhandled again yesterday. They are really not doing well. I think they might have been the most overrated college football team ever. Good work ASU getting the publicity you did. At least now most people can not say, "I have never heard of Appalachian State." I wish them the best of luck, and hope for a UM and ASU BCS Championship game in New Orleans this year. I can hope can't I?

Agent Zero said...

ASU was actually on Sportscenter last night following their win over Lenoir-Rhyne. To many people's surprise this team is actually more "legit" than we give them credit for. The team has won Division II championships the past couple of years and shouldn't be looked over on anyone's schedule.

None the less they would not have been on Sportscenter with their win over Lenoir-Rhyne had they not beat Michigan in the "biggest upset in College Football history".

Regardless of whether or not Michigan loses all of their games this year or if they win out after yesterday's embarrassing loss to the Ducks of Oregon, ASU's win over the Wolverines should not be discredited one bit.

Vision said...

I agree with Miamigal. People going out and buying Appalachian State jersey's is pretty ludicrous. If the Devil Rays beat the Yankees in a series I wouldn't go out and buy a D-Rays hat. Yea, this was a once in a year upset, but for people to all of a sudden jump on the Mountaineer band wagon is comical.